Recovery at a glance:
- Immediate weight bearing in postop shoe or boot
- Transition into regular shoe wear 2 to 3 weeks post op (sometimes sooner if swelling allows; may even take up to 6 weeks if swelling is prolonged)
- Begin range of motion of big toe 2 weeks following surgery.
- Physical therapy not always necessary; however, when needed, we initiate it at 6 weeks post-op for big toe motion and gait training
- Expect soreness and mild pain / discomfort with swelling for up to 6 months after surgery
If big toe surgery is accompanied by additional surgery such as correction of other toes (i.e. hammertoes) or other corrective procedures, then recovery can be quite prolonged with extended swelling. In the revision situation, this can be even further magnified. Please discuss recovery for forefoot surgery with Dr Vora for individualized realistic expectations.